Karen Bass’ dog scared away burglar who broke into her home: report

The accused burglar who forced his way into Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass’ home in a “targeted” attack last month repeatedly shouted out her name as he went bedroom-to-bedroom — but ended up getting spooked by her German shepherd, according to a report Monday.

Ephraim Matthew Hunter, 29, was arrested after he allegedly smashed a glass rear door of the official mayoral residence and prowled through the home on April 21 as Bass and her family were sleeping.

Hunter, who was previously convicted in a brutal beating in Massachusetts, allegedly screamed out “Karen” several times after barging in, law enforcement sources told the Los Angeles Times.

Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass was sleeping when a burglar broke into her official mayoral residence on April 21. AP

Bass’ German shepherd rescue, Stax, delayed Hunter’s alleged attempts to access some bedrooms on the second floor, the sources added.

Stax, though, never attacked or bit the accused burglar.

The new details emerged as cops continue probing how the security breach occurred at the mayoral residence in the first place.

The sources said Hunter was allegedly able to break in just after 6:30 a.m. during a gap in security coverage due to a shift change.

It wasn’t immediately clear how long the gap was, but the police sources said it is a regular part of the security plans for the mayor.

The perp allegedly able to break in just after 6:30 am during a gap in security coverage due to a shift change. Los Angeles Times via Getty Images

He was nabbed by LAPD officers within minutes of the 911 call being made, police said.

Investigators haven’t disclosed why Hunter was apparently targeting Bass, or if he had any plans to harm her.

LA District Attorney George Gascón said last month that Hunter’s actions showed he knew Bass was inside the home, though he stopped short of offering specifics.

“We believe he was targeting the mayor,” Gascón said.

Responding officers said they believed Hunter was high on methamphetamine at the time, according to sources.

Cops are still trying to probe how the security breach managed to occur at the mayoral residence in the first place. Los Angeles Times via Getty Images

Hunter’s mom, Josephine Duah, has previously said her son had struggled with addiction and was hallucinating at the time.

He allegedly told her he was fleeing from someone “trying to shoot him.”

Hunter was charged with felony first-degree residential burglary with a person present and vandalism of $400 or more in damage or destruction of property over the mayoral saga.

If convicted Hunter faces a maximum of 13 years and 4 months in prison.

Leave a Comment